Serato DJ 1.8 introduces Key Detection, Key Shifting & more
Serato DJ 1.8 will be available from the end of October and the big news is that they have finally introduced Key Detection, something that has certainly been lacking as this is readily available from their competitors.
But an added bonus is that the FREE version of Serato DJ 1.8 which is basically a single player and a sound library (did we mention it’s FREE!) will also have this new key detection feature so for those looking to manage their library and notarise the key of tracks this is a handy new addition.
It’s about time to be honest. If you’re a laptop DJ… or a Digital DJ – i.e. you use either a laptop or flash drive on CDJs you should be taking note of the keys of the tracks you mix and this can improve your transitions in the mix and basically make you sound more musical, even if you are tone deaf!
Here’s how key detection will work in Serato DJ 1.8
- Analyse the root key of your tracks in the Serato DJ Offline Player, a free download.
- Organize your Serato DJ library by key.
- Coloured key display in the Serato DJ library for quick and easy recognition and key matching.
- Choose one format to display key for all your tracks, whether analysed in Serato DJ or elsewhere. Display Camelot, Open Key, Musical Key notation or Original Tag (what’s already in your files).
- Key is written to your track. View this info in any other music software that supports ID3 tags.
- Serato DJ key analysis is developed by Serato.
Pitch ‘n Time DJ
Another new feature, but sadly this one’s not free but will only be introduced with Serato DJ 1.8 is the Pitch ‘n Time DJ plugin. This’ll set you back $29 but it is, they say, a studio quality pitch shifting algorithm which offers additional features such as key shift, key match, and key sync. Note: For those who have already own the previous version of this plugin the update is in fact FREE!
- Key shift, match and key sync.
- Harmonic mixing made easy. Simple visual representation of compatible track keys on deck.
- Manually match key for the track you are mixing, key sync automatically or choose between various compatible keys.
- Studio quality algorithm, used by post-production professionals, audio engineers and producers worldwide.
- Speed up or slow down your track to extreme tempo values while maintaining its key perfectly, with the highest quality and definition of any available software.
Another feature that has been surprisingly absent is hardware remapping. Serato DJ 1.8 will now have this option. This means you customise your controller any way you want or perhaps its just 1 or 2 knobs or buttons that you wish to make better use of… either way, the option to completely map a device whichever way you want is definitely a bonus in Serato DJ 1.8.