Roland SP-404A Linear Wave Sampler added to AIRA series
The Roland SP-404A is a linear wave sampler based on the popular SP-404SX, designed to be used on the move (sampling) and in a Dj setup for performance.
The nifty thing about the new Roland SP-404A is that the ‘A’ is for AIRA. You see this new addition is designed mainly for live use and will expand the sounds of the Roland AIRA TR-8 Rhythm Performer once they’re linked up.
But the SP-404A is also a great portable standalone sampler to carry with you; it has a built-in mic and can be battery powered so you can actually grab a sound and record it no matter where you are.
Features and functions
The Roland SP-404A has all the same functions and features as the SP-404SX such as 16-bit linear sampler, 29 DSP effects onboard, quick and easy FX switching, 12 pro-performance pads, and the pattern sequencer.
What’s cool though is that the new ‘A’ version can be triggered from the TR-8 via MIDI so by linking the two you open the Rhythm Performer up to whole new range of sounds. They will obviously also be synced to a single MIDI clock so running a pattern sequence of each device could create some awesome jamming opportunities for a two-man live act.
So one can incorporate samples from the SP-404A and use them together with drum patterns from the TR-8 for example; in fact the TR-8’s 11 tracks can trigger a sample on the SP-404A, play a TR-8 sound, or both.
Also think of the potential when you use the TR-8 as an audio sub-mixer and processor for the SP-404A.
When you do this all samples played on the Roland SP-404A can be effected using the TR-8’s Scatter feature to reverse, glitch, gate, truncate, stutter, and perform all types of rhythmic variations in perfect sync. Samples can also be controlled by the TR-8’s per-step Side Chain function for rhythmic ducking and gating effects.
The Roland SP-404A includes an SD card loaded with a library of new sounds created by Loopmasters, so that’s an excellent way to get started.
In a nutshell the SP-404A is designed to work seamlessly with the TR-8 and enhance one’s overall performance arsenal.
SP-404A Features at a glance
- Sample anytime, anywhere with the built-in mic and battery power
- Can be triggered from the 16-step sequencer in the TR-8 Rhythm Performer (TR-8 system version 1.50 or later required)
- AIRA black-and-green colour scheme to match existing AIRA hardware
- “Sounds by Loopmasters” SD card includes over 100 new stereo samples, effects, and one-shots
- 29 DSP effects, including filter, delay, unique voice effects, subsonic, looper, and more
- Three control knobs, 12 trigger pads, and Sub Pad for rapid-repeat triggering
- Seamless effects switching for smooth, perfect performances
- Pattern sequencer with quantize mode and shuffle feels
- Import audio files from a computer and assign samples to pads with free Mac/Windows software
Watch the Roland SP-404A in action with the TR-8.