Headphone electrocution claims the life of a 16-year-old boy
Headphone electrocution has claimed another life.
Last week, 16-year-old Mohd Aidi Azzhar Zahrin did something most teenagers, actually people do: He listened to music through his headphones, an act that he paid for with his life.
He was discovered by his mother; there in their home, her son lay motionless on the floor and cold to the touch with blood pouring from his ear.
According to medical checks, it’s understood that young Mohd was listening to the headphones while charging his phone. Seven West Media reported that the deceased’s brother felt a small electric shock when touching the charging cable, indication that it may have been faulty.
Mohd was not the first victim of electrocution by headphones, and probably won’t be the last. We can only hope that people head warning and remain cautious of the risks.
Don’t use while charging
In February, a 17-year old girl in Brazil was found in a similar fashion after a “huge electric charge” surged through her phone, resulting in her headphones melting in her ears.
In May, a 46-year-old woman from India was electrocuted after falling asleep while listening to music- her phone was plugged in to charge.
A month later, a 22-year-oold man also from India suffered the same fate of electrocution from a plugged-in mobile phone.
Hold on a minute before you think this is a problem specifically for developing countries: In 2014, a 28-year-old woman from Australia was found dead after being electrocuted by a USB cable that she was using to charge her phone…while listening to music with headphones.
Moral of the story: Don’t use non-approved products (especially chargers) and rather refrain from using any devices while they’re plugged in and charging.
You don’t want to die for music, so be cautious about headphone electrocution; plug out before you play.