DJ Da Capo crowned best Afro House artist at DJ Awards
DJ Da Capo triumphed over fellow SA artists and two internationals to snag the win.
Da Capo is bringing home the gold, having triumphed against SA’s Culoe De Song, Hyenah, and Floyd Lavine as well as Germany’s andhim and USA’s Osunlade to be crowned the best Afro House Artist at the 2019 DJ Awards in Ibiza.
Although he alluded to being sceptical about his chances of winning in an interview last month, he ultimately pulled it off, which will give his already-soaring career an even bigger boost as he continues to infiltrate the European market.
“Captured the kryptonite, once again this is for the dacapolics,” DJ Da Capo wrote on Instagram. “Thank you.”
DJ Awards 2019 winners
SA (and international) favourite Black Coffee lost out to Carl Cox in the International DJ Category, whose nominees also included the likes of Adam Beyer, Claptone, James Jones, Joseph Capriati, Luciano, Nina Kraviz, Paul Van Dyk Ricardo Villalobos, Richie Hawtin, Seth Troxler, Solomun and Sven Väth.
Another SA artist, Themba (Euphonik), also lost the Breakthrough Artist award to Ukrane’s ARTBAT.
The rest of the winners are:
- Deep Tech: Butch
- Bass: Chase & Status
- Electronic Live Performer: Stephan Bodzin
- Melodic House & Techno: Maceo Plex
- Trance: Aly & Fila
- Techno: Charlotte De Witte (First female win for this category!)
- Deep House: Maya Jane Coles
- Newcomer: ONYVAA
- Industry Awards: Ibiza Music Event
- Producer: Maceo Plex
- International Music Festival: Kappa Futur Festival
- Record Label of the Year: Hot Creations
- Dance Nation: Israel
- Ibiza DJ: DJ Francisco Allendes
- The Outstanding Contribution award: Defected Records
- Cutting Edge: Cercle
- Track of the Season: Roberto Surace- Joys
Well done to DJ Da Capo for making South Africa proud and for the rest of our artists; keep the music coming.