How to survive a Psytrance party
…once you wear shoes to a trance party – you can never take them back into society again, they just won’t fit in….”
Summer season is here… I can’t believe it– I feel like it was just the other day we said hello winter…
For me Alien Safari’s Sprung is my first psytrance party of the season in Cape Town, and I’m so excited, even though I go to a million festivals, I still feel like a kid before Christmas when winter is over.
I felt like creating this week’s blog post about what to pack for Psytrance party!
I have created a list for you of the essential tools to make your festival experience as comfortable as possible. Perhaps this is your first season of festivals so here are some tips on how to manage it in style and become a real party-goer as opposed to passing out in a ditch somewhere or the chill space or a stranger’s tent.
Psytrance party camping essentials
- Tent, Mattress, sleeping bag and pillow, Gazebo or stretchy (for you and your mates to chill under)
Tent: – this can become your sanctuary when things get a bit wild, make sure you get a tent big enough for your needs – mattress and sleeping bag can save you when it’s time to rest, festivals are marathons not a sprint, so rest your party bones, and then carry on for some more…
Helpful Tent Tips
- If it’s raining and you’re wet and muddy, keep your shoes by the door, in an attempt to keep your space warm and safe from the wetness, as that little area might save your cold ass a little later.
- Theft at festivals are unfortunately a real thing, and as much as we would like to think of our campsite as a safe space there are individuals who think otherwise – I know for a fact the promoter’s security units are working hard to prevent this from happening, but it also helps if we as the party goers make an effort not to leave possessions in a space to be taken.
- When you’re sleeping – place your valuables under your pillow while you sleep and not in your shoes by the door, (duh!)
- Don’t bring anything you couldn’t live without if you lost it IE: iPhone, expensive sunnies etc…
- Hide your valuables in your car, and keep your car keys in a safe place, if it’s on you then tie it to a piece of clothing, otherwise somewhere safe in your tent – but only if your car is not next to your tent, (duh again!)
Psytrance party must-haves
- Sunglasses are essential
- Water and water bottle
- De-cant your hard liquor into plastic bottles (glass not allowed – for our own safety)
- Wet wipes (can save you in the worst of times)
- Saddle bags or belt bag
- Food or ‘future life’ cereal to mix with water (again feed your body this is a long session)
- Loo Paper
- Black bin bags (keep your space tidy – you are an educated human – keep it together, just because you’re wasted doesn’t mean you must live in your own waste…)
- Head torch (don’t have to wear it on your head, but its small enough to keep on you , and bright enough to help you navigate through the darkness)
- Tooth brush (‘cos you gonna need it in the morning…)
- Deodorant of some kind (one can cook up quite a sweat out there)
- Plasters (just in case)
- Headache pills (sometimes the hangover after a rest can be a downer)
- Sunscreen and hat (or umbrella)
- Shoes: boots and sandals / plakkies (I pick a pair of boots or takkies- and they become the dedicated shoes for season – once you wear shoes to a trance party – you can never take them back into society again, they just won’t fit in…. )
Psytrance party essentials for the girls
- Wear shorts that make your ass look good – not high waist denim shorts because they are trendy – they’re only made for skinny girls or 15 year olds without an ass – you may think you’re in fashion to have your butt cheeks hanging out for a Psytrance party – but it’s not a great look, trust me!
- Sunscreen is a must
- Small mirror in a cosmetics bag – (sometimes you need a mirror to keep things in place)
- Wet wipes or make up remover wipes
- Battery Operated Fairy lights for camping area
- Polish your nails before fest (finger nails look exceptionally gross by day 2 – good way to cover up)
- Lip balm
- For 3 day parties bring a basin and a wash cloth – a bucket bath in your tent to keep hygienic (including your feet when you put boots on for the evening) – foot fungus after a festival is super gross girls.
- Bikini & towel
- Boots and Flops
- Change of socks
But most of all – arrive with a great attitude – because we all wanna dance and be happy.
What I’m listening to: K.I.M
WITH TUNE RAIDER