But Pixie Bennett is more than just a pop wannabe and has been in the music business professionally since 2001 as a singer, recording artist, club and freestyle vocalist, go-go dancer and an MC. Teaming up with producer Craig Massiv, her debut dance album – A Thousand Birds – drops this month [read the review here]. We caught up with Pixie to discover a wonderful sense of humour matching her audacious persona…
1. I decided to release a dance album because…
Dance was where I started 11 years back and after a lot of soul searching it’s where I landed up again!
2.The album name A Thousand Paper Birds comes from…
A Japanese belief that folding 1000 origami cranes grants you any one wish you want in life.
3. Working with producer Craig Massiv was…
Like chilli chocolate. It works, has some fire and a general respect.
4. Performing on Idols is a bit like…
Giving a speech naked to an audience of millions.
5. The track from A Thousand Paper Birds that has surprised you the most is…
Taboo. A cover of a track from local SA Band Voodoo child – I actually MC in a section!
6. Working in Ibiza as a Go-Go dancer was….
A wild ride for a 19 year old. Off the wall fun!
7. Your most common expression is…
“Hey H’uncle” in an Indian accent. It’s a Durban thing.
8. What do you think is the most overrated virtue?
9. What was your latest ‘cool’ purchase?
Organic Coconut Water. Cool to some…
10. Your worst habit is…
Meeting people out in dark clubs and not remembering them.
11. You enjoy it most when people…
Have a dry sense of humour and a flair for kitsch or adventure.
12. One thing you have learnt about yourself recently that has surprised you?
My ability to use a soldering iron.
13. What is the best single piece of advice your parents gave you that has never left you?
Look left and right before crossing the road. And that status is fickle so treat people as equals.
14. What is the one thing you think all men should simply stop wearing?
Jocks. Specifically briefs.
15. You take approximately how long to get ready in the morning?
Depends how much of a rush I am in… 15 minutes minimum, 35 minutes average including baths.
16. What one item is always in your fridge?
17. The one song on your iPod that would surprise friends…
George Michael, Faith. Ha ha!
18. The best thing someone has ever come up to you and said at a gig?
“You’re taller than you look on TV”
19. When is it okay to lie?
When you hate your friend’s tattoo design. They have it for life…
20. What was your part time job in college or high school?
Working at Madame Zingara in Cape Town.
21. What do you like to do when no one’s watching?
Break the speed limit.
22. The worst piece of advice someone’s ever tried to convince you of is…
That I would enjoy a pig’s trotter for dinner.
23. What is the one promise you keep making to yourself that you always break?
To learn Zulu and join the roller derby.
24. Joburg girls are…
25. If you were an MC, what would your aka name be?
26. What do you never leave home without?
27. The South African music industry needs more…
Pixie Bennett Details