Baxter’s DJ skills have endured five seasonal residencies with the legendary ‘We Love… Sundays at Space,’ season number six with iconic Ibiza sunset institution Café Mambo and a twice weekly residency at high-end beach club El Chiringuito. He also hosts his own monthly event in Ibiza, ‘The Vinyl Fix was born’.
His keen ear for new talent and influential sounds landed him the role of A&R scout for seminal label Defected. To go along with his string of achievements he has also scooped up an award for the best Ibiza DJ at the prestigious Ibiza DJ Awards this year.
Throughout 2012, Andy has embarked on multiple new studio productions and he continues to present his radio shows on Ibiza Sonia and Resident Advisor. The European off season (our summer) sees Mr Baxter touring the Americas, Australia, Asia and of course South Africa this December for NYE. We ask him about his previous visit to Cape Town [last year NYE], find out what he was like in high school and a lot of other random stuff too.
We grab 5 minutes with some of our favourite DJ’s & ARTISTS and ask them… Well… Just about anything we feel like!!!
1. Pacha is all about…
A lifestyle that portrays music, fashion, glamour and the expression of good times.
2. Dance music exists because…
We love to dance.
3. Talent scouting is a lot like…
Food tasting, things can’t be under or overcooked.
4. Describe El Chiringuito in five words.
Paradise, Beach, Restaurant, Idyllic,Amazing.
5. As a clubber, ‘We Love… Sundays at Space’makes you want to…
Research the history of Detroit Technocrats when you get home.
6. What is your definition of success?
Being happy, doing exactly what you want to do in life.
7. Playing at the Grand Cafe & Beach Bar in Cape Town proved….
We could have an amazing time both night and day, in one venue, very simple but both parties were completely different.
8. Visiting Cape Town again another summer in a row for a gig this December has you anticipating…
An even bigger show to last year’s, which was amazing.
9. What is the one thing you know how to do really well in less than five minutes?
Make a cup of tea.
10. If you lived in a fantasy cartoon world where all the characters were DJs, your catch phrase would be…
‘Step aside bitch.’
11. Bacon & Eggs or Tofu with greens?
Got to be Bacon & Eggs
12. There are far too many …
Smart phones… in the world.
13. What do you like to do when no one’s watching?
Talk to myself and make stupid songs up.
14. Nobody likes a…
Smart ass/Fake/Liar or Cheat.
15. What would purgatory be for you?
I am religiously confused.
16. An enemy is someone…
I keep at arm’s length, but also respect.
17. You were... in High School.
18.… makes a female attractive.
Amazing banter and a great sense of humour (A great body will help too)
19. The worst piece of advice someone’s ever tried to convince you of is…
Get yourself a real job.
20. What have you learned to never ever do again and why?
Take anything for granted, because when it’s gone, it’s gone.
21. What is the most overrated virtue?
22. If you Andy Baxter weren’t spending your days pursuing your love of the music industry, how else would you be paying the bills?
Professional landscape photography or worldwide food taster.
23. The global music scene is all about…
Moving forward and joining people from all over to share musical knowledge past and present, and to keep the industry fresh for the next generation.
24. You love it most when…
People dance to music they have never heard before and they feel it.
Catch Andy @ Pacha Ibiza New Year’s Eve @ The Grand, Granger Bay, CPT
Andy Baxter Details