1. You started DJ’ing back in 1997. Aside from CD’s replacing turntables and laptops now replacing CD’s – what else in your opinion has changed for DJ’s behind the decks over the past 15 years?
That’s technology for you and it will always change. As we know more & more Dj’s have turned their Dj sets into a live act/performance and experience not just with equipment but also with visuals, dancers, robots, LED boxes/screens and the list goes on… It’s not just about the music anymore it’s about the experience.
2. Relating to the same question above, what would you say is the major difference between clubs and parties today, say compared to late 90’s, early 2000’s.
Clubs and parties back then were special and unique in its own way because it was so underground and new to everyone. Now the clubs are mostly commercial and there aren’t that many parties either because we don’t really have the numbers like anywhere else in the world where people go out to cool clubs and big parties every weekend. Also if all the genres were exposed on radio like back in the day it would make a huge difference to the number of people going out and getting educated.
3. You have 2 DJ compilation CD’s under your belt, plus you have played at umpteen H2O parties, as well as many others in JHB, so this no doubt confirms your ability as a DJ – yet somehow people are asking who DJ Louis is after the Deadmau5 line-up was released? So c’mon tell our readers. How did you land the best gig in the country right now?
To the thousands that are coming to the shows and to the people who don’t know me yet, I have worked long and hard and have performed with some of the best in the industry. I was a resident at club Truth for eight years and been a resident at H2O for the past 10 years. I have done opening sets for Paul van Dyk, Judge Jules, Cosmic Gate, Fat Boy Slim to mention a few. I have always been very humble and grateful when promoters book me, and if they believe in me it must mean something… right?
Expect the unexpected!
5. What do you think of the rest of the DJ’s on the line-up in the different cities?
Absolutely awesome! I always enjoy performing with my friends and hearing new acts.
6. Other than, of course, Deadmau5, who else are you looking forward to hearing play?
I have played alongside most of the artist on the bill and have always enjoyed listening to them and for this tour,
CT – Chris Jack
DBN – Martin McHale
JHB – Boogie Knights
7. Describe your DJ style in 5 words…
Passion, Electric, Dirty, Energy Fuelled
8. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up?
I play with my dogs Titan & Texas
9. Any pre-gig rituals you like to follow?
Two double Vodka, Lime & Soda [Laughs]
10. What one thing will you always find in your fridge?
11. Favourite drink?
Vodka, Lime & Soda.
12. Shout outs to?
First of all to the promoters and event organisers who believe in me and gave me this once in a lifetime opportunity thank you!!! All my fans, my friends, family and all the people who work so hard to keep this scene of ours alive every day, thank you!