elf proclaimed first lady DJ of the North West, Ms. Giinja has been a guest DJ in most clubs… well the one’s that matter she says. Having started playing only a handful of years back (on both vinyl and CD… impressive, Ed) Giinja has been featured on various radio and TV shows. She also completed a sound engineering course at the Sound Audio Industry (Johannesburg) in 2003. Giinja says she prides herself as a versatile DJ playing a mix of tech/electro house, fidget, kwaito and hip hop. “It’s all about playing the right type of groove for the right dancefloor.”Currently she is producing her own tunes and working at a local community radio station – Aganang FM, 90 MHz doing the morning show from 06h00 to 09h00, Monday to Friday.
Playing for a rainbow nation that can Dance.
2. And the worst?
I guess its being a female DJ… lotsa vendettas out there!!!
3. If I wasn’t a DJ I would get my kicks from….
Radio DJ; which I am doing currently anyway.
4. The last time I deejayed this guy came up to me and said….
Hey! You play better than a guy.
5. Don’t you just hate people who stand in the front of the dancefloor but don’t dance?
I like the attention, because it shows that I’m pulling the crowd “literally.”
6. Complete the sentence… ‘House music is…..
Zinnia (you can never explain it).
7. Favourite SA DJ/producer and why….
Black Coffee…he is a mentor
8. Favourite international DJ/Producer and why…
Atjazz, he’s the best remixer around in my opinion; he never disappoints.
9. What’s always in your fridge?
A bottle of my Giinja branded mineral water.
10. The first thing I look for when I wake up is….
My radio switch so that I can listen to the presenter before my morning drive show.
11. Any phobias or pre-set rituals to calm yourself down?
I like to listen to some jazz, to ease the mind beforehand.
12. What word describes you best?
“Ginger” the life of the party.
13. What’s the sexiest part of a man’s body?
The hands, as they always show how gentle he can be (or not, Ed).What’s more important – personality or good
14. What’s more important personality or good looks?
15. Ever taken advantage of a groupie/fan just because you could?
Yep I sure did; I made them carry my bag before and after my set.
16. Favourite restaurant?
Beefboys in Potch – you have to go there to understand.
17. Dancing means….
Letting go and losing yourself completely.