Samson Conspiracy Midi Control Surface
The Samson Conspiracy is a new Midi Control Surface first shown off at NAMM 2015 and is now available in South Africa through retailers and online stores.
As is almost always the case these days it is designed very much with Ableton Live in mind with the usual pad layout for triggering of clips but it also has some very thoughtful other features that look interesting.
Ultimately if you buy a pad controller you’ll no doubt be looking for something that is performance orientated and the Samson Conspiracy looks very much like this type of midi control surface.
Notable features include the X/Y Pad in the top left hand corner and the dedicated ‘DJ Section’ on the right side at the bottom.
Another section that looks a little different and ‘out-the-box’ on the Samson Conspiracy is the four sliders and knobs to the left of the five banks of pads. 5 sliders and rotaries seems more sensible because then each would correspond to one of the banks.
The pads are backlit and offer up to three different colours, they are velocity-sensitive aftertouch-enabled and are, much like the rest of the unit, fully assignable. The 10 function buttons (F1-F10) are also backlit.
Backlit buttons and pads are important for two mainly reasons; 1) performances often take place in dark DJ booths. You need to be able to see what you’re pressing 2) Multi-colours also allow you to see at a glance if a function key or pad is activated or not.
Further control of your software via the Samson Conspiracy is enhanced by the 14 detented knobs and the 6 faders. The top right section is where you’ll find the transport functions and the LCD screen.
The DJ Connection
Whilst the Samson Conspiracy will make an ideal multi-purpose control surface for use in the studio, the LIVE performance aspect will no doubt interest many. The 2-channel MIDI mixer section along with crossfader and transport section means the unit can be used for more than just Ableton of DAW use. The Samson Conspiracy can save and recall more than 15 presets, letting you seamlessly switch between your favourite software apps.
- Ultra-portable MIDI control surface
- 25 velocity-sensitive, 3-color backlit trigger pads with aftertouch
- 14 detented parameter knobs, 10 backlit function buttons, 6 precision faders
- 2-channel DJ section with crossfader
- Assignable X/Y touch pad for next-level control over software effects
- Backlit LCD controlled by master encoder and four direction buttons
- Dedicated transport controls
- Save and Recall more than 15 presets
- Plug-and-play operation, no driver installation required
- Mini USB port; USB bus-powered
- Includes mini USB to USB cable
WATCH THIS PROMO VID