Roland TR-08 Rhythm Composer announced
Just in time for #808day – which was 2 days ago by the way, 8th day of the 8th month, get it? – The Roland TR-08 Rhythm Composer was announced by the tech giant.
The Roland TR-08 is the latest addition to the hugely popular and nicely priced Boutique range of electronic instruments from Roland Corporation and this new Rhythm Composer will no doubt get fans giddy with excitement and rightly so.
Just the other day Roland announced the Boutique SH-01A a new version of their legendary SH-101synth so in keeping with this trend the new Roland TR-08 shouldn’t be too much of a surprise.
Boutique is beautiful
The boutique TR-08 is a compact version of the original TR-808 recreated meticulously to embody everything the original had to offer, Roland tells us.
They say the sound, look and feel will satisfy fans of the original but with enhanced features and the reliability of modern technology it will also please fans and new users alike with its extremely friendly usability.
The new Roland TR-08 uses the company’s proprietary Analog Circuit Behaviour (ACB) technology which is Roland’s form of analogue modelling. With this they are able to accurately realize the sonic details and quirks of the original hardware, modelling each analog circuit right down to the component level.
Although the interface on the boutique version is somewhat scaled down, it is still 100% authentic with all the buttons, knobs, and switches found on the TR-808.
But the new TR-08 also sports some new features the classic rendition never had.
From their press release…
“The sequencer has 16 sub-steps per step, enabling users to create detailed snare fills and intricate, rolling hi-hats. There’s also a track-selectable trigger out for working with external instruments and modular gear. An LED display enables finer control of tempo and shuffle, and it’s now possible to step-program or tap-in parts in real time without stopping to change modes. In addition, the TR-08 sends and receives MIDI control messages and supports audio and MIDI over USB.”
The Roland TR-08 is a portable device and runs on USB bus power or batteries.
Plus it has a built-in speaker so you can literally take it anywhere with you and create some awesome beats on the move.
Roland TR-08 Features
- Ultra-compact recreation of the legendary TR-808 drum machine
- Retains the sound, character, and user interface of the original TR-808
- Hands-on control including tone, level, tuning, and decay
- Added Compressor, Gain, Tune, and Pan for selected instruments
- Programmable via classic Step and Tap write modes
- Sequencer has 16 steps with 16 sub-steps for detailed patterns and rolls
- Continue playing beats even while switching between write modes
- LED display for easier navigation and fine control of tempo and shuffle
- Ten separate outputs via USB audio
- Dedicated, track-selectable trigger output for controlling external instruments
- High-quality construction with metal front panel
- Highly portable for mobile music making
- Includes DK-01 Boutique Dock for multiple-angle viewing
- Battery-operated (4 x AA) or USB powered
- Built-in powered mini-speaker for instant enjoyment
- Compatible with optional Roland Boutique accessories
The Roland TR-08 and SH-01A will retail for $349 (approx. R 5k incl. import duties)