iLoud Micro Monitor – Super compact studio reference speakers
IK multimedia have announced the iLoud Micro Monitor for release soon and these fit in very well with the rest of the tech company’s portable audio gear that is aimed squarely at mobile music producers.
The iLoud Micro Monitor is aimed specifically at the laptop music producer market. With a small footprint that stands only 180 mm high, 135mm deep and 90mm wide, these portable reference monitors can travel with you anywhere, anytime it seems.
As you can see from the image below, they’re notably smaller than any other 3” loudspeaker system on the market so in the case of the iLoud Micro Monitor size does matter! In this case the smaller the better.
The iLoud Micro Monitor is a bi-amped speaker system which deliver a combined 50watts RMS. They sport class D amplifiers with the tweeter and woofer being driven independently. The claimed bass response is quite remarkable for such a small woofer said to be 55Hz (-3dB) which is the best in its category.
High frequencies are delivered through the 3/4” silk dome tweeter, whilst the 3” woofer is made of a high-rigidity custom composite material and makes use of a bass reflex port. They also claim the best stereo imaging and a focused delivery through the frequency spectrum.
The iLoud Micro Monitor has an internal 56-bit digital signal processor (DSP). This DSP is responsible for things like taking care of the frequency and phase response of the monitors as well as also controlling the dynamic range so that the drivers are always under control and operating efficiently. It also acts as a digital crossover that allows for invisibly smooth transitions between the drivers themselves.
Great feature set
There are a handful of really awesome features on the iLoud Micro Monitor, one’s that suggest IK Multimedia are not simply claiming to be proper reference monitors, like some of the [cheaper] DJ speakers do; these seem like the real deal.
Firstly there’s a handy set of EQ switches on the back panel to set the monitors to a flat response or reduce the LF and HF by 3db. There are also two angles of inclination thanks to the integrated isolation base that guarantees further mechanical de-coupling and purer sound. With these features you can optimize your listening experience to suit the characteristics of the room you’re working in, therefore always ensuring that you’re working in the audio the sweet spot.
There’s even a mic stand thread to mount them on stands if you so desire.
Professional reference-quality sound
- Advanced digital control with 56-bit DSP, controlled diffraction / low resonance enclosure and time-aligned crossover, deliver superior audio with ultra-linear frequency response.
- Powerful Class D bi-amplification system (50W RMS) provides plenty of headroom with lightning-fast transient response.
- High-rigidity custom composite material woofer plus large flare bass reflex port produces “best in class” bass response down to 55Hz.
- High-quality woofer and tweeter — like ones found in high-end systems — without the high-end price.
- The smallest footprint of any reference quality studio monitor system.
- Fits anywhere — provides high-definition monitoring in the tightest spaces.
- Can be placed closer to you than other monitors reducing the effects of room reflections and standing waves.
- The first monitor system you can easily carry with you anywhere you go.
Flexible placement and connections
- Desktop or monitor stand placement with selectable EQ correction and adjustable integrated isolation base optimized for your setup.
- Mounts on regular mic stands for free-field positioning with no need for additional accessories.
- Wired connection with 1/8” stereo mini-jack and RCA inputs for recording, mixing and mastering.
- Wireless Bluetooth connection for listening to your music anywhere.
IK Multimedia products are distributed through Tuerk Music Technologies in South Africa.
iLoud Micro Monitors global site