Griffin DJ Connect – Cueing your music on djay for iOS and MAC
The Griffin DJ Connect continues the success of Griffin’s best-selling DJ cable by introducing this more advanced version, allowing one to preview tracks in headphones on one channel, whilst a second channel plays out another track.
What’s the difference between DJ Connect and DJ Cable?
Glad you asked. Well the price for one thing! Griffin are selling their cable online here for $99.99! In good old South African rand terms that’s over a grand for the DJ Connect.
The real difference though is that whilst cables such as Griffin’s DJ Cable and Native Instruments’ Traktor DJ Cable are considerably cheaper, both take a single stereo signal and split this into two mono signals. It works really well and for small little impromptu gigs at a friend’s braai or little house party, this and your iPhone or iPad is the shiz!
What Griffin’s DJ Connect does though is it serves up a stereo signal – so this means you get 2 sets of stereo outputs instead of one stereo channel being split into mono. An added bonus is there is also a very handy volume control to adjust your cued up volume.
The Real Difference
Actually it’s a little unfair to simply compare DJ Connect to the basic DJ cable variants. In truth DJ Connect is more a portable audio interface much like the Traktor Audio 2.
Each have features the other doesn’t. The DJ Connect comes with both types of iOS adapters, USB cable and simpler connectivity. The Traktor Audio 2, however, can be used to charge your portable device if you use an external power supply. Since DJ Connect is an audio interface, your iPhone or iPad will need to power the device, which will understandably lead to less battery life.
Features at a glance
- 3.5 mm (1/8”) stereo headphone output on front
- Line-level RCA stereo outputs on back
- 3 cables included: mini USB to Apple Lightning connector, mini USB to Apple 30-pin connector, and mini USB to USB
- Easy, ergonomic access to volume control
- Supports all existing versions of djay and vjay apps for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac computers running algoriddim software
- iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5 (connector adapter not included)
- iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation)
- iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation)
Here’s their Promo Video